About Brent Sweitzer
Licensed Professional Counselor, Registered Play Therapist
A Little Bit About me
In any professional relationship it’s helpful to know something about the person you’re working with. I believe this is particularly important in a counseling relationship since the work is so personal in nature.
I’m Brent Sweitzer, Licensed Professional Counselor and Registered Play Therapist. Since 2010 I’ve been helping couples, children, teens, and individual adults improve their relationships, navigate change and learn new ways of coping with the challenges of life.
As you’ll see throughout this site, I work with a wide range of client populations, but a common thread across all of them is a deep passion for enhancing relationships and communication. No matter whether you’re 3 or 83, being able to sustain healthy relationships and communicate about your needs and wants is central for happiness, success and well-being in life. This applies in your relationships with others, and also in the relationship you have with yourself.
As valuable as my formal training in mental health has been (which you can read about below), it is my experience as a client in therapy that has best prepared me to be of help to others. I have experienced tremendous growth and healing through the therapy process, and it motivated me to make a midlife career change to become a therapist.
I have been happily married since 2010 and have two young children.
Brent Sweitzer’s Qualifications
- I received my Masters in Professional Counseling at Georgia State University.
- I am licensed as a Professional Counselor (LPC) in the state of Georgia (#LPC008381), which means I’ve met all of the training, supervision and continuing education requirements of the Georgia Composite Board of Professional Counselors.
- I have completed specialized training in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT), an empirically validated treatment approach for working with distressed couples. My training encompassed over 200 hours of didactic instruction and supervision (along with many more hours of self-study).
- I am a Certified Prepare/Enrich Facilitator. Prepare/Enrich is the most used premarital and marriage assessment tool in the world. More than 4 million couples have taken the assessment over the past 35 years.
- I am a Registered Play Therapist (RPT), which means I’ve received specialized training in child development and the therapeutic power of play to help people of all ages (not just children) prevent or resolve psychosocial difficulties and achieve optimal growth and development.
STEPS TO HEALING
What To Expect When We Work Together
Once you decide to begin counseling, you'll fill out the initial paperwork securely using the client portal. We will meet and begin the therapeutic counseling journey together.
Through your counseling sessions, you will start working on your healing -- experiencing shifts, progress, and relief as you go.
What Fellow Clinicians That Know My Work Have Said About Me
Dr. Maggie Walsh, LPC, RPT
I have had the pleasure of collaborating with Brent to support many shared clients throughout the years. He is very intentional in his clinical practice and works exceptionally hard to serve his clients. Shared clients have described Brent as warm, caring, knowledgeable and helpful.
Marty Altman, LPC
As a fellow counselor, I know that Brent Sweitzer does high quality work and serves his clients very well. He is insightful, caring, and encouraging and not afraid to be honest when needed. He is very experienced, trained by some of the best possible teachers, and he has honed his skills well through years of practicing. I would trust him to treat my own family members.